History Of Lions:
In 1917, a Chicago insurance agent named Melvin Jones convinced his luncheon club, the Business Circle of Chicago, that it should ally itself with other independent clubs to form a national organisation that would be dedicated not only to networking for business and social purposes, but to the improvement of the community as a whole.
Among the groups invited was the Association of Lions Clubs, headquartered in Evansville, Indiana and led by Dr. W.P. Woods.
At the time of the meeting, June 7, there were several Lions clubs already in existence, some having been organized in 1916. They were an outgrowth of a now-defunct fraternal organisation called the Royal Order of Lions.
The Business Circle and other clubs agreed to rally under the Lions name, and a convention was called for October at Dallas, Texas.
Thirty-six delegates representing 22 clubs from nine states heeded the call, approved the "Lions Clubs" designation, and elected Woods as the first president.
Guiding force and founder, Jones was named acting secretary, thus beginning an association with Lions that ended only with his death in 1961.
The convention also began to define what the association was to become. A constitution and by-laws were adopted, the colours of purple and gold approved, and a start made on the Lions Clubs Objects and Code of Ethics.
Remarkably, considering the materialism of the era, both Objects and Purposes encouraged Lions to put service ahead of profit, and to uphold the highest standards of conduct in business and the professions.
Community leaders soon began to organize clubs throughout the United States. The association became "International" with the formation of a club in Windsor, Ontario, Canada in 1920. Clubs were later organized in Mexico, China and Cuba.
By 1927, membership stood at 60,000 in 1,183 clubs. In 1935, Panama became home to the first Central American club; the first club in South America was organized in Colombia the following year. Sweden, then France, brought Europe into the association in 1948. Japan had clubs by 1952, and Hungary, Poland and Estonia. In 1990, a club was chartered in Moscow and today over 100 Lions clubs are demonstrating the value of service in countries once closed to voluntary action.
The International Association of Lions Clubs is the world's largest and most effective community service organisation, with more than 1.35 million members. There are more than 46,000 Lions clubs in approximately 207 countries and areas. Regardless of what language they speak, religion they practice or politics they espouse, all Lions are dedicated to seeking out and helping those in need.
What better way to explain our mission? "LIONS" The slogan is Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nation's Safety.
Official Colours The royal colours of purple and gold were selected as the official colours when the association was organised in 1917. Purple stands for loyalty to friends, and for integrity of mind and heart. Gold symbolises sincerity of purpose, liberality in judgment, purity in life, and generosity in mine, heart and purse to those in need.
Lions Club of Narellan
The Lions Club of Narellan was formed on the 15th December 1999 and was Chartered in February 2000.
We were one of the last clubs formed in the last (20th) Century.
At our Changeoiver in July, 2013, we celebrated our tenth (13th) anniversary of our Charter.
We serve and help the communities of Narellan, Mt Annan, Currans Hill, Smeaton Grange, Harrington Park, Gregory Hills, Gledswood Hills, Catherine Fields and Leppington, as well as the wider Camden LGA.
We look forward to also serving the new communities that will be formed within the above ares in the future.
Our Club remains strong with active Members dedicated to fundraising for and serving the community.